Mayor Steinberg has not just devoted his energy to Hampstead issues alone.
With the backing of doctors, audiologists and parents of children with cochlear implants, he led the successful fight to get cochlear implant surgery brought to Montreal. Along the way he got the support of all the Mayors on the island of Montreal, Laval and the South Shore. This will ensure that everyone who needs a cochlear implant in the greater Montreal area will get one much more easily.
Dr. Steinberg was awarded the Hearing Hear’os award from Hear Quebec in 2019 for his work on the Cochlear Implant Campaign.
Here are some other actions of Mayor Steinberg beyond Hampstead’s borders:
Federal Government of Canada
- Meets regularly with MP Anthony Housefather.
- Worked on a petition presented by Irwin Cotler, former MP, in parliament requesting Federal aid for dealing with the devastating effects of the Emerald Ash Borer.
- Worked on a resolution on the same issue that was adopted as an Emergency Resolution by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities in June, 2013.
- Obtained significant grants for infrastructure projects.
- Was awarded the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee medal by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
Provincial Government of Quebec
- Meets regularly with MNA David Birnbaum and has lobbied for the Cavendish extension, protection of minority rights (Loi 21) and against attempts to strengthen the French language charter at the cost of English rights.
- Has lobbied for and obtained provincial grants.
- One of the leaders in the fight against the unfair provincial electoral map. “All votes in Quebec Should Have Equal Weight” – Montreal Gazette.
Montreal Agglomeration Council
In 2006, he led the boycott of the Agglomeration Council and was eventually joined by all his fellow Mayors. This led to 18 months of negotiations between Quebec, Montreal and the demerged suburbs. The entente signed in June, 2008 contained numerous benefits for Hampstead and all the demerged towns.
Also as a member of the Public Security Commission, he wrote a minority report criticizing the rate at which the police budgets were increasing (3 times the rate of inflation over the previous 5 years). Since that report, increases have dropped to about the rate of inflation saving Montreal island taxpayers tens of millions of dollars with no reduction in service. Read the article from the Montreal Gazette.
As a member of the Agglomeration Public Security Commission, he wrote the first recommendation on the use of Tasers. It called for the formation of specialized team of sociologists and psychologists to deescalate situations where a Taser might otherwise be used. This team is now used in any situations which could lead to the use of lethal force. Further, all police officers are now given training in how to deescalate potentially deadly confrontations. Much more remains to be done but Mayor Steinberg’s involvement started the police on the right path.
Partnerships with Cote St-Luc and Montreal West
- Made a financially attractive snow dump deal with CSL.
- Gained access to the CSL library for Hampsteaders.
- Hampstead and CSL share many programs
- Montreal West and Hampstead have joint hockey teams.
RELATIONS WITH RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS
- Annual menorah lighting with the Montreal Torah Centre.
- Annual Purim party with Adath Israel and other synagogues.
- Gave Nahar Shalom official synagogue status.
- Introduced high-holiday services in community centre in partnership with Kehila Sepharade de Hampstead.
- Worked with the school to prevent the area being misused (for example to prevent drug dealers from using the grounds)
- Assisted in the maintenance of their grounds (both for beautification of the area and because it posed a security issue)
- The school has provided their facilities to the town, for example, swing dancing classes, basketball programs, day camp use, etc.
- Bill was a keynote speaker at the graduation ceremony, gave out an award.
- Hampstead School students take part in the Hampstead Remembrance Day ceremony.
Kiryat Shmona, Israel
- Increased ties with our sister city, Kiryat Shmona, in Israel.
- Welcomed a delegation including the Mayor and Vice-Mayor in Hampstead.
- While on a personal trip to Israel, Bill visited Kiryat Shmona strengthening the bond between our two sister communities.
- Passed a resolution congratulating Hapoel Kiryat Shmona, the number one soccer team In Israel.
Royal Montreal Regiment, Canadian Armed Forces
- Granted the Canadian Forces RMR Freedom of the City. Freedom of the City is one of the most prized honours that a community can bestow upon a military unit to express their affection and esteem for it.
- RMR takes part regularly in our Remembrance Day ceremonies.
- Participated in our Centennial parade and show with the entire regiment and band.